First Class Honours degree in Law from Milan University (Università Cattolica del Sacro Coure di Milano) with a thesis on maritime domain under the supervision of Prof. Feliciano Benvenuti
– Supreme Court Lawyer specialized in administrative law.
– Founder member of a legal firm with its head office in Genoa
– Former member of a Radio-TV Regional Committee
– Former member of the Board of Administration of Genoa’s Carlo Felice Opera House
– In 1985 he was elected Regional Councillor for Liguria, and later, in 1992, became Vice-President of the Regional Council;
– In 1994 he was elected Vice-President of Liguria Regional Committee, delegated to follow Environmental issues
– In January 1996 he was nominated President of Genoa Port Authority with a 4-year mandate. He was reconfirmed in January 2000 up till February 2004.
– Vice Pesident of “Assoporti” (Italian Port Association)
– In 1999 he was elected Secretary of the International Association Cities and Ports (AIVP), becoming its President on the 1st June 2002. He held office until 1st June 2005 (“Villes et Ports” is the most important port city association in the world; 200 port cities from all continents belong to it).
– In January 2001 he was elected Vice-President of ESPO (European Sea Ports Organization with its head office in Brussels; over 800 European ports belong to it.)
– On 3rd April 2002, by decree of the President of the French Republic, he was nominated Officer of the Ordre National du Merite for his work in favour of the French-Italian cooperation in the maritime transport sector.
– On the 24 November 2004 he was elected President of Expo, to be reconfirmed for a further 2 years on the 22 November 2006.
– In July 2007, by decree of the President of the Italian Republic, he was nominated Audit Court Councillor , by designation of the Regional Liguria Autonomy Council; his mandate lasts 5 years-.
– He is still a member of Expo’s Board of Administration and its Commission on Port Governance.
– Born in Genoa on the 23rd February 1939.
– Married with 3 children