download presentation (20 pages)
Cities and ports express a growing need to communicate about their specificities. We can observe the rise of a large number of initiatives to educate local communities about the importance and the added value of port activities. Existing educational centers of the modern port activity totally match this strategy. They do inform a wide public about port development stakes for the community, help to increase local support and get younger people be interested in port orientated careers.
Pursuing this objective of awareness and enhancement of port activities, PORT CENTERS provide the public, initiated or not, with the possibility to discover, experience and understand better contemporary port activities. A space open to the widest public, it can cover subjects such as industrial port activities, the goods transported, international trade, the port professions or again the integration of the port with its city and many others.
Two elements are essential and common to the various PORT CENTERS: an exhibition and educative activities. By presenting the diversity of the activities, their economic spin-offs for the territory and the potentialities in terms of employment for younger people, PORT CENTERS have the vocation of explaining, educating and bringing together the port community and the citizens.
The PORT CENTER is not only a “visitors” center with an exhibition. One of the main objectives of a PORT CENTER consist in organizing port excursions/visits, port lectures and other port educational projects with a broad network in the port community (private and public stakeholders), schools and universities.
- Develop the concept of “ Port Citizen” ?
- Create the link between citizens and their port, make people be proud of their port and develop the idea of a “ port citizen”
- Build up a feeling of membership by developing the meaning of “us” (shared concern)
- Create a feeling of community, it should be a place which federates ideas and enables people to meet
- Be interested in the vision of the public/citizen by supporting the reciprocity of the exchanges
- Present and explain the port, the industrialo-harbor trades in order to give birth to vocations and to share harbor values
- Establish a new long-lasting relationship between city and port
- Let them feel the port !
- Wake up the senses and develop a harbor sensitivity (ex: to analyze the noises, recognize the odors, identify materials with the touch…)
- Be original and lively through operations which allow a real meeting between maritime activity and citizen (ex: sponsorship of a ship of containers)
- Collaborate with the port community in order to develop on-site visits and to enable confrontation with reality
- Arouse the desire of a magic reappropriation of the port by mixing entertainment and education