How to create a Port Center?
Several possibilities are available to you to label your structure with the Port Center by AIVP© brand, and thus become a Port Center.
- Sign up to the Missions Charter to involve your port-city actors
- Order the “Port Center step by step guide“
- Participate in a working group Port Center Network
- Create your Port Center with AIVP’s expertise
The Port Center enables the concrete implementation of a
sustainable port-city relationship.
Three accompanying services
Every Port Center has to answer to a specific context and be adapted to the history and the socio-economic situation of its port city. Our accompanying approaches have the aim to bring a tailored made support to your project and help you in identifying the major issues that have to be addressed.
Initial support in your Port City
The AIVP team will be on site to present the port center concept in your port city. After having received a general overview of the potentialities, the AIVP team will then aid in co-ordinating round table discussions with stakeholders to enable synochrony in mission perspectives. The AIVP methodology guide inclusive of concept explanation, guidelines for port center structuration, different benchmark examples, etc will act as a tool and will be beneficial for envisioning your basic port center framework.
From a first guidance to a Business model for your Port Center
Contextual analysis coupled with stakeholder interviews undertaken by the port city will enable our team to better aid your mission. The AIVP is on an accompanying mission to helping you realise your port center. With expertise and knowledge over 25 years, the AIVP team will be able to provide guidance that is apt and suitable for your port center mission.
Port Center Benchmark Visit
There is an avenue for benchmark missions in different port cities to learn and discover their Port Center or/and their soft value agenda and understand better the possibilities to apply the Port Center Concept in your port city. It is here that our worlwide network of port and cities will be of immense benefit to you. soft-value agenda and understand better the possibilities to apply the Port Center concept in your port city.
The first 4 steps to build your Port Center
- 1. Read the context :
AIVP can help you to perform the initial analysis of your context.
- 2. Meet the major stakeholders :
The Port Center concept can be explained by AIVP. It is also possible to collaborate in the interviews with the partners.
- 3. Engage with the public:
AIVP can help you in the preparation of workshops and outreach actions with the public.
- 4. Prepare a strategy:
The conclusion of the process is the implementation strategy that can be prepared in collaboration with the AIVP, using our expertise.
Our Port Center by AIVP references
The year 2010 marked the creation of the first Port Center working group, bringing together the directors of the Port Centers of Rotterdam and Antwerp and the project leaders of the Port Centers of Le Havre and Genoa. Since then, the AIVP has acquired specific know-how on the questions of societal integration of the ports and on the implementation of Port Centers. To date, 13 port cities have signed the Charter of the Missions of a Port Centre, published at the end of 2013. Other ratifications are in progress. It is an indispensable stage which federates the stakeholders, sets the objectives and gives visibility to the project for the creation of a Port Center. Finally, it is a commitment to 10 key principles which guarantee the “Port Center by AIVP” label.
Since 2014, annual workshops organised within the framework of the Port Center Network working group, encourage the exchange of experiences. The expertise of the AIVP team has favoured the emergence of numerous projects:
- 2012: support for the founding members of the Le Havre Port Center (France) in the development of a Business Model which covers the governance and programming of the place. The Le Havre Port Center opened its doors in December 2013.
- 2016: the AIVP accompanies the Port Community of Brussels (Belgium) in the evaluation of a project for the creation of a Port Center, in order to establish the legitimacy of the logistics and industrial port activities along the canal.
- 2016: on behalf of the Region of Brittany (France), the AIVP is studying the opportunity of a Port Center approach at regional level and its possible declination for the various City Port contexts of the territory.
- 2016: the AIVP federates the stakeholders of Guadeloupe (France) around the Port Center concept.
- 2017: the AIVP produces for HAROPA PORT – Port de Rouen (France) a study to raise awareness of the installation of a Port Center on the territory.
- 2019: on the basis of an existing perception study, the AIVP accompanies the Autonomous Port of Guyana (France) to mobilise and federate the stakeholders around the Charter of the missions of a Port Centre.
- 2020: the AIVP are drawing up recommendations for the societal integration of a new district situated on the city – port interface of Seville (Spain), including a Port Center dimension.
- 2021: the AIVP is carrying out a Port Center study in Marseille-Fos (France), in the form of a contextual analysis.
- 2022: the AIVP accompanies the Port of Bordeaux (France) to initiate a Port Centre in the heart of the Metropolis.
- 2022: the AIVP certifies the Port Center approach undertaken in La Rochelle (France).
- 2022: the Port of Taranto (Italy) works with the AIVP to launch its reflections.
- 2023: the AIVP carries out a benchmark and a territorial diagnosis for the creation of a Port Centre in Valparaiso (Chile).