:The North Tyrrhenian Port Network Authority was established following legislative decree n.169, 4th August 2016. It oversees the ports of Livorno and Piombino, plus the Elba Island ports of Portoferraio, Rio Marina and Cavo, and the island of Capraia. Livorno is a multipurpose port, located on the west coast of Italy and is one of the top ports of call, in terms of quantity of goods handled and in terms of passengers. It is the main Italian port for forest products, pulp paper and the key port for new car traffic. It is also a top port for RORO traffic (Motorways of the Sea) and it has also been a major container port since the 1980s. It offers direct rail links with the national network and good road links to the main national and international destinations. Livorno was founded by the Medici family at the end of the Renaissance period to facilitate the port’s development, giving rise to a cosmopolitan city, an emblematic example of the vitality of the Tuscan region. The bond between the port, the city and the surrounding area come to be in that period and still thrives today. One of the main tools to enhance this link is the Livorno Port Center, inaugurated in November 2015, in the heart of the Old Fortress, a 16th century monument which is also managed by the Port Authority, where cultural and artistic events take place, and next to the Livorno’s historical Vecchia Venezia district, with its system of canals and bridges, and is within walking distance from the city centre. Livorno’s Passenger Terminal is in the heart of the Medicean Port, near the Old Fortress. A second fully equipped terminal (the Alto Fondale can accommodate the megaships, while the luxury ships berth in the Medicean Port. The excellent connections through Pisa Airport make Livorno the ideal port for turnarounds. World famous vineyards in Bolgheri village, beaches, natural parks, Etruscan and Roman ruins represent interesting alternatives to classic Tuscany tours to the art cities of Pisa, Firenze, Lucca, etc.
The port of Piombino has undergone continuous infrastructural development. As a result, the port now offers a wide range of facilities catering for all types of traffic handling necessities. The New Port Masterplan foresees a notable increase in the number of berths (with an additional 3.5 km of quays), dockyard areas, dredging to a depth of 20 meters, and adequate direct road and rail links. The port of Piombino is also able to host the biggest cruise ships, offering the possibility to discover the natural beauties of southern Tuscany (such as Baratti, Populonia, Parco Minerario S. Silvestro, etc.).
Portoferraio is the capital of Elba, the largest island in the Tuscan archipelago. The Deepwater quay, where cruise ships call, is close to the historic center of this Medicean town, with places redolent of Napoleonic memories. Indeed, Napoleone Bonaparte was exiled on the island in 1814 and 1815 The 27 kilometers of Elba’s coasts consist of uncontaminated natural countryside: from jagged coasts to beaches of rock and sand, to the mountain landscapes of the inland, with extensive sporting and leisure facilities (i.e golf, horse riding, scuba diving, water-skiing, etc.)