The Port of Tarragona is located in the second biggest urbanised zone in Catalonia, in which two important communication routes come together, the Mediterranean corridor and the Ebro axis, at a place of great commercial, economic and cultural exchange with more than 2,200 years of history. On the east of the Iberian peninsula, it is the fourth biggest port in Spain and one of the most significant in the western Mediterranean. Its origins go back to the year 218 B.C., when the city of Tarraco, capital of one of the largest provinces of the old Roman Empire, was founded. However, it was only in 1789 that it was rebuilt and that, as from the 1970s, it experienced real growth. With more than 1200 hectare surface, equipped with a 5 km seawall which protects it from the strong East winds and quays of up to 22 metres depth, the Port of Tarragona has excellent installations. Its main traffics are composed of oil and petroleum products and chemicals, dry bulk (coal and agro foodstuffs), refrigerated produce, vehicles and general cargo. Since 2012, the Port of Tarragona is also a destination for cruises.